Assess and Condition ACMs
Asbestos Knowledge Base
The type of ACM, the amount of it, and its condition, will determine its potential to release asbestos fibres into the air, if disturbed. The condition of ACMs can be considered by addressing a series of questions;
- Is the surface of the material damaged, frayed or scratched?
- Are the surface sealants peeling or breaking off?
- Is the material becoming detached from its base - a particular problem with pipe and boiler lagging and sprayed coatings?
- Are protective coverings, designed to protect the material, missing or damaged?
- Is there asbestos dust or debris from the damage near the material?
If the ACMs in the premises are in poor condition you need to arrange to have them repaired, sealed, enclosed or removed.