Requirements for guard-rails, toe-boards, barriers etc.
CDM (Jersey) Knowledge Base
Please note this topic relates to the CDM (Jersey) 2016 Regulations. If you are looking for the CDM 2015 (Great Britain) Regulations, please see the CDM (GB) Knowledge Base
Schedule 2 covers regulation 27(2)(b)) and, in this context refers to a means of protection is to a guard-rail, toe-board, barrier or similar collective means of protection. Any means of protection must:-
- be of sufficient dimensions, of sufficient strength and rigidity for the purposes for which the means are being used and otherwise suitable
- be so placed, secured and used as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the means do not become accidentally displaced
- be so placed as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, the fall of any person, or of any material or object, from any place of work
In relation to work at height involved in construction work:-
- a top guard-rail or other similar means of protection must be at least 950 millimetres above the edge from which any person is liable to fall
- a toe-board must be suitable and sufficient to prevent the fall of any person, or of any material or object, from any place of work
- an intermediate guard-rail or similar means of protection must be positioned so that any gap between it and other means of protection does not exceed 470 millimetres
In regard to ‘supports’ a structure, or part of a structure, that supports any means of protection or to which any means of protection are attached must be of sufficient strength and suitable for the purpose of such support or attachment.
For Ladder access and temporary removal of means of protection a lateral opening may be made or maintained in any means of protection if it is necessary to allow access to or egress from a ladder or stairway, but only for the time and to the extent necessary to allow that access or egress. Means of protection may be removed, but only for the time and to the extent necessary to gain access or egress or to carry out a particular task. A task must not be performed while means of protection are removed unless effective compensatory safety measures are in place. The means of protection must be replaced as soon as practicable.