Hazard Related Topics
Before undertaking excavation work a site investigation should be undertaken to identify site conditions. Such a survey should identify conditions which are likely to effect the work such as:
- Is there any contaminated ground?
- What is the water table and what is the slope stability?
- It should identify sources of surface water
- Is there any archaeological significance to the site?
- What is the position, type and use of adjacent structures?
Once this information is to hand consideration can be given to:
- land take for safe working margin
- working areas and restrictions for excavation machinery
- surface water drainage systems to mitigate flooding
- safe disposal of excavated material
- haulage routes for waste disposal for minimum disruption of site and local residents