Hazard Related Topics
This topic includes mass concrete, pier and beam, pile and beam and mini-piling.
Some Hazards and Risks
- Structural instability leading to possible collapse of the structure and the resultant risk to workers and occupants.
- Work in confined spaces preventing the use of mechanical lifting aids and leading to manual handling problems whilst lifting and moving casings, reinforcement, trench sheets and concrete.
- Health hazards from contaminated risings or ground water, cement, concrete, fumes and dust.
- Health hazards caused by noise, vibration and fumes.
- Hazards of contact with buried or overhead services whilst drilling, driving, impact settlement and vibration.
Some Control Measures
- Plan to control ground water inflow.
- Ensure location of underground and overhead services is known and marked before work commences.
- Examine possibility of repairing and strengthening structure to avoid need for underpinning.
- Ensure suitable protective clothing and equipment is provided and used.
- Ensure adequate batter or shoring is provided for trenches.
- Ensure adequate ventilation in confined spaces.