Skip to main content

 HELP - Have I Been Exposed To Asbestos?

Created 28 Oct 2013, 08:55 by David Whyte in the Asbestos Management forum.


I have a small leakage on my artex ceiling in the living room due to leak from the bathroom shower. House was built in 1985, however unsure as to when the artex was originally done maybe 1 or 2 years later?

What chance if any is there to exposure to asbestos in this case? I have a young family and now paranoid and fearful.

Thanks. DW.

#125 James Steggles posted on 28 October 2013, 18:47

You are on the cusp of the changeover from Asbestos containing textured coats (ARTEX) and the modern non ACM replacement. Most contractors had stopped using it by then but one or two old timers appear to have kept a secret supply to mix in because, to quote one old boy " That stick a lot better and goes further than that modern muck!"

The only sure way is to test a small sample. However if you are just talking about a small patch of Artex that has fallen off, the risk is minimal. Textured coats generally only contain 2 -3 % asbestos fibres and can safely be left in situ if undisturbed. Sealing the damaged area with paint will suffice. If the ceiling starts to flake off because water has penetrated and separated the artex layer from the plasterboard then I would recommend doing something more permanent.

James Steggles

#1160 Hana harith posted on 23 September 2015, 11:32

Let's not forget the metal pipes that deliver your drinking water is also poisoning your body with copper, lead, mercury and other rusty flavors. I should also point out that using chewing gum may also give you bowel cancer. I hear air conditioned homes increase the chances of attracting TB. Oh and who could forget that eating high temperature foods can give you cancer of the lip, mouth, and throat.

#1177 Frank Sheppard posted on 12 December 2016, 11:46

Hi Hannah
Asbestos is not the only concern you have to consider Lead in paint is a recognised hazard as laid down in the claw regulations if you have old paint work in your home there is definitely bound to be a lead presence in the paint work if carrying out remedial work or disturbing the paint or if the paint is chipped and broken lead samples and lead surveys should be undertaken before carrying out the work
This is an area which is in most cases completely missed or ignored by some building contractors, paint contractors and Asbestos contractors seek ice on this hazard before it's too late.
Frank Sheppard

#1178 Frank Sheppard posted on 12 December 2016, 11:48

Hi Hannah sorry the word should have read Advice not Ice with regard to this hazard
Frank Sheppard

#1179 Frank Sheppard posted on 12 December 2016, 12:01

Hi D W
As per advice to Hannah this advice equally applies to every one thinking about hazards in their environment see reply to Hannah reference Re- Lead paint and more importantly if you have young children especially below the age of seven urgent action is needed do not undertake any remedial work until you have had the lead levels checked out by a recognised and competent person. check out for proper advice and guidance
Frank Sheppard

#1230 Mohsin Rasheed182 posted on 4 May 2023, 17:23

if you have concerns about possible exposure to asbestos, it's important to speak with a healthcare professional or occupational health specialist who can evaluate your individual situation. Asbestos exposure can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma, so it's important to take any potential exposure seriously and seek professional advice.

Respond to this post

Please log in to enter your response.


Return to list of posts | Return to forum list

Please note that the views or comments expressed on this forum are not necessarily those of Ai Solutions. We reserve the right to remove any defamatory, derogatory or libellous statement or words from the site.