Duty to Manage
Asbestos Knowledge Base
If you are the owner, occupier, or manager of premises, you will either have a duty to manage the risk from asbestos or a duty to co-operate with the person who does. See Duty Holder.
Regulation 4 will require duty holders to:
- Take reasonable steps to find materials in premises likely to contain asbestos and check their condition.
- Presume materials contain asbestos, unless there is strong evidence to suppose they do not.
- Assess the risk of the likelihood of anyone being exposed to asbestos from these materials.
- Make a written record of the location and condition of the asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and presumed ACMs and keep it up to date.
- Repair or remove any material that contains or is presumed to contain asbestos, if necessary, because of the likelihood of disturbance, and its location or condition.
- Prepare a plan to manage that risk and put it into effect to ensure that;
- information on the location and condition of ACMs is given to people who may disturb them during work activities
- any material known or presumed to contain asbestos is kept in a good state of repair
- Monitor the condition of ACMs and presumed ACMs.
- Review and monitor the action plan and the arrangements made to put it in place.