Hazard Related Topics
This consists of all operations which by their very nature generate enough heat to cause combustion or those where combustion forms an integral part of the operation itself.
Hazards and risks
- The nature of the work itself constitutes the major hazard. The risks are fire, explosion and dangerous fumes.
- Areas to be used for hot work should be cleared of combustible materials before work commences and wooden floors etc. covered.
- Gas cylinders should be fastened vertically and be fitted with flashback arresters.
- Screening should be used when welding or grinding and a careful watch maintained with suitable fire extinguishers to hand.
- Tar boilers should be supervised by an experienced operative and should not be taken onto roofs.
- All hot work areas should be inspected about an hour after work ends.