HSG247 - Asbestos: The Licensed Contractors Guide
Asbestos Knowledge Base
The HSE publication, HSG247, "Asbestos: The licensed contractors' guide" is now available. The guide is primarily aimed at businesses that hold a licence to work with asbestos, repairing or removing asbestos containing materials (ACMs), supervising such work, holding an ancillary licence or providing training for such persons.
The guide should also be used by any employer who carries out work with asbestos insulation, asbestos coating and asbestos insulating board using their own employees on their own premises, which are exempt from the requirement of a licence.
This will also be useful to people awarding and managing/supervising contracts for such work, or who have other asbestos management duties.
This excellent guide HSG247, Asbestos: The licensed contractors' guide, ISBN 0 7176 2874 4 is available from HSE Books.
The guidance replaces most earlier guidance on licensed asbestos removal work, as listed below:
- HSG189/1, Controlled asbestos stripping techniques for work requiring a licence
- INDG288(rev1), Selection of suitable respiratory protective equipment to work with asbestos
- EH47(3rd Edition), The provision, use and maintenance of hygiene facilities for work with asbestos insulation, asbestos coating and asbestos insulation board
- EH50, Training operatives and supervisors for work with asbestos insulation, asbestos coating and asbestos insulation board
- EH51, Enclosures provided for work with asbestos insulation, asbestos coating and asbestos insulation board