Asbestos Knowledge Base
The following organisations offer accreditation and certification schemes;
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) are proposing to develop proficiency certification schemes for individuals who undertake surveys.
Phone BOHS on: 01332 298087 or see their web sites: www.rics.org and www.bohs.org
- The United Kingdon Accreditation Service (UKAS) provide accreditation to EN45004 for organisations undertaking asbestos surveys.
Phone UKAS on: 020 8917 8555 Web site: www.ukas.com
The main accreditations for asbestos surveying organisations are;
- EN45004 - general Criteria for bodies performing inspection - available from UKAS.
- ISO 17025 - for organisations sampling or analysing asbestos - available from UKAS.
- P402 - an individual proficiency module on building surveys and bulk sampling - offered by BOHS.
All surveying organisations should have and implement policies for quality control and quality assurance. Quality checks including re-inspection and corrective action should be carried out on work in progress. All the procedures of the survey organisation should be quality assured by carrying out audits of completed surveys.