Lead Paint Awareness Training
21 December 2017
We are currently working with LCMA, the Lead Containing Material Association (formerly LiPSA, the Lead Paint Safety Association). They have developed a number of courses to raise awareness of the dangers of lead paint within the construction industry. The courses will have their final authorisation from the NOCN awarding body in January which means they will become readily available to everyone.
Lead based paints were used in abundance in past construction; however the aftermath (its legacy) is that once disturbed it causes a lethal dust which, when breathed in, has catastrophic consequences. It has been suggested that we treat lead with same respect as we do Asbestos; perhaps we should as the hazards are hidden but equally dangerous. Lead is a neurotoxin - it affects the brain. Absorbing microscopic amounts of lead can adversely affect your health, especially young children's and (pregnant) women. Lead paint is extremely toxic and, according to Wikipedia:-
Lead paint is hazardous. It can cause nervous system damage, stunted growth, kidney damage, and delayed development. It is dangerous to children because it tastes sweet, therefore encouraging children to put lead chips and toys with lead dust in their mouths. Lead paint is dangerous to adults and can cause reproductive problems in men or women. Decreases in sperm production in men have been noted. Lead is considered a possible and likely carcinogen. High levels may result in death.
There are also regulations that we need to consider here, the Control of Lead at Work Regulations 2002 state specific duties as well as precise information as to what percentage of lead is acceptable. The government has also provided a leaflet to guide you on home decorating in older properties.
If you would like to know more about lead paint awareness training then please give a member of the team a call on 01525 850080 for more information.