Hospital Asbestos 'a ticking time bomb'
21 July 2017
Interesting article from the BBC in regard to asbestos in hospitals. It states that 94% of hospitals in London contain asbestos, what does this mean for the rest of the country?
Doctor Peter Szlosarek, consultant oncologist at Barts Hospital, who is studying mesothelioma, has highlighted the following facts:-
- About 2,600 people die each year in the UK from the condition which affects the lungs
- Symptoms include breathlessness, cough, chest pain, night sweats and in rare cases damage to the spinal cord
- The median survival rate is 12 months, chemotherapy treatment can add two to three months
- People who worked in offices and buildings with asbestos are being increasingly diagnosed, rather than just those who had direct contact with the material
- In areas with high risk exposure, about 5-10% individuals will develop it
If you are a building custodian, a client or a landlord Ai Solutions can help you. We have software to ensure that you carry out all your duties under the CAR12 regulations (Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012). The main one of these that affects you all is your Duty to Manage. We have our Asbestos ToolKit CS Compliance software to help you do just that.
If you would like to know more about how you can stay compliant within the CAR12 regulations then please visit our web site for more information or contact a member of the team on 01525 850080 for your FREE demonstration.